Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HeihoSilver
Frequent Visitor

Shared Screen Gateways Password

Hi,

In my company the Gateways is managed and setup by IT consultant company (not same company as mine).

In one of the gateways setup, I need to enter my credentials via shared screen session/remote session (most of the IT support we have is conducted via remote session).

The scenario is the IT support have the Gateways setup in their desktop/screen. Later, he/she share their screen to me and share control with me in order for me to write my credentials in their screen. Everything is working properly with scheduled refresh using the mentioned gateways. 

The question:

• Is it safe and secure to enter my credentials like the above scenario?
  • Is it possible that the password I typed via shared screen session being copied by the IT support who setup the gateways? (e.g. Ctrl C and paste somewhere else later). I tried to login to different websites simply for testing the copy paste password. I found that it is not possible to use copy paste as long as the "show password" is not visible. Since I don't have access to manage gateways myself, I couldn't test it myself. 
  • Is there any other best practice if the gateways is managed by other contractor (IT consultant company)?

Best regards,

HeihoSilver

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We do it the same way and found it to be sufficiently safe. As you mentioned the "reveal"  eye icon should be avoided. 

It helps to ask the developer what keyboard they are using BEFORE attempting to enter the password. If it is different from the keyboard the gateway admin uses (often the case in multinational companies) then the gateway admin needs to install all the required language packages that allow keyboard switching.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We do it the same way and found it to be sufficiently safe. As you mentioned the "reveal"  eye icon should be avoided. 

It helps to ask the developer what keyboard they are using BEFORE attempting to enter the password. If it is different from the keyboard the gateway admin uses (often the case in multinational companies) then the gateway admin needs to install all the required language packages that allow keyboard switching.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.