Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shape map in Power BI Desktop RS

Hello community,

Last september, I created a report on PBI Desktop for Report Server which contained a shape map (with a TopoJSON file). But today, when I reopened it to do a modification, the component had disappeared from the visualizations pane. The visual is still present in the report, but it is not possible to add a new one (except by copy/paste the old visual).

Is it normal that this component disappeared from the visualizations pane?

3 REPLIES 3
mpgoggin
Advocate I
Advocate I

It seems quite ridiculous that this has been in preview for what - 5 years? 6? Why is Microsoft holding out on this? Is it slow to fix bugs or part of some strategic reason to limit users experience?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You must have created your report in the non-Report Server version of Power BI Desktop. The shapemap has not yet come out of preview status (and there is no timeline for it being officially released which is dissappointing). And the Report Server version of Power BI Desktop does not allow the use of any features that are in preview status.

Sometimes it is technically possible to use the cloud version of Power BI Desktop to build a report with a preview feature enabled and then upload it to Report Server and sometimes this works, but it's totally unsupported and you do so at your own risk.

Once a visual has been officially released I don't think we've ever had an instance of one being removed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. However, I am very surprised of this because I am sure I used the Report Server version (black icon) to build this report. The visual works on the On-premises Report Server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.