Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Djulien

Shape Map not available for Power BI Report Server

Shape Map visual is still part of the preview features. Still not available for Power Bi Report Server. Any reason why?

6 REPLIES 6
johncpratt
Advocate II
Advocate II

I just downloaded and installed the lastest version of the January 2019 release after reading some posted issues about the initial version of this release.  My report server functionality has been tested successfully, including paginated reports and PBI reports. 

I then tried out copying a Shape Map visual from the December 2018 PBI Service Desktop to the 2.65.5313.1562 64-bit (January 2019) PBIRS Desktop and it worked perfectly!  It had not worked copying to the August 2018 PBIRS Desktop.  I was able to modify properties and alter data fields. 

I was also able to deploy the report to the report server and everything worked as expected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still seeing the same performance under Version: 2.65.5313.1421 32-bit (January 2019)

It seems that the code is available internally, but not fully productionalized. You don't see the Shape Map as a Visualization option, but at least now you can cut and paste one in from the Power BI Desktop (non RS version) and edit it. You just dont have an icon to produce one from absolute scratch. 

It is annoying, but I am creating a shared template for my users to cut and paste if they are gearing up to use a map to go to the RS Production server.

Thanks dbvinson4, I was wondering about the January update.

Some of my users were using newly downloaded power bi desktop (cloud) versions in an attempt to bring shape maps over to report server and they do not work. Once they reverted back to an october release of power bi desktop (cloud) they were able to save and then reopen those pbixs with shape maps in the RS desktop versions.

Skeletor
Helper I
Helper I

I was just able to upload a report to PBIRS with a shape map visual and it works. However, you have to create the pbix in power bi desktop (not the report server optimized version) then upload it. Once you open the file with the report server optimized version of desktop, the visualization remains, but when you click on it, it doesn't show which visualization is selected, but you can still edit it and is functional. Seems like they coded this for Power bi Report Server but have not switched it on yet.

Here are the steps to add shape maps visual to an existing report that lives on Power BI Report Server.

1. Open your existing PBIRS optimized report in the non-optimized version of Power BI desktop

(You get a warning that you cannot save this to report server after you save, just save it as a different name incase it breaks something, it will still work anyways if you only insert map visual)

2. Insert shape map visual

3. Save

4. Open with PBIRS optimized power bi desktop

5. Save

6. Upload to report server.

I just tried the suggested workaround and was unable to open the PBIX with the shape map visual added in the PBIRS version of Desktop.  The error said I did not have the latest version of Power BI.  I have the August 2018 version of the PBIRS Desktop and the December 2018 version of the hosted service Desktop.  I would guess I have to use an older version of the hosted service Desktop to have a chance of this working.

This is the hosted service version that I'm using:

Version: 2.63.3272.40262 64-bit (October 2018)

Also, I get that error as well but I just press OK and the PBIX still loads.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.