Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

acp206
Frequent Visitor

Server Is Not Reachable over HTTPS

I'm currently getting a 'Server is not reachable' error when attempting to connect to Power BI Report Server via Power BI desktop over HTTPS or trying to Edit in Power BI desktop from the web portal. I'm on September 2022 right now, but I was also experiencing this issue on May 2022. I can upload via the web portal interface, but I would like to get this piece working from Power BI Desktop.

What's strange to me is that I AM able to connect over HTTP with no issues. There are no blocks within the Firewall or other security programs.

Anyone have any suggestions? I saw a few posts on here with similar issues but didn't seem to be much resolution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
acp206
Frequent Visitor

I finally got this issue resolved in case anyone else has this issue.

The initial reason was because the certificate was not trusted. Using Fiddler I was able to see it prompt me that the certificate was unsafe. Once I clicked Allow I was able to connect. For reference, our computer name is not the same as the web portal URL. We have multiple SANs.

After making the necessary changes to reflect one of the SANs, so the website was now trusted, I was getting a 'Unknown error occurred' when trying to connect via Power BI Desktop for Report Server. To fix this, I had to add BackConnectionHostNames to the registry and add our URLs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
acp206
Frequent Visitor

I finally got this issue resolved in case anyone else has this issue.

The initial reason was because the certificate was not trusted. Using Fiddler I was able to see it prompt me that the certificate was unsafe. Once I clicked Allow I was able to connect. For reference, our computer name is not the same as the web portal URL. We have multiple SANs.

After making the necessary changes to reflect one of the SANs, so the website was now trusted, I was getting a 'Unknown error occurred' when trying to connect via Power BI Desktop for Report Server. To fix this, I had to add BackConnectionHostNames to the registry and add our URLs.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You could try seeing if it is the issue with the Windows Credential cache that I outline here Power BI Report Server – fixing the “Server is not reachable” Error – Random Procrastination (gosbel...

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @acp206 ,

Just to confirm with you, there has been confusion between Power BI Desktop and Power BI Desktop for Report Server in the past.
Have you downloaded and installed the correct and latest version of the application?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Yes. I'm using Power BI Desktop for Report Server, September 2022.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.