Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GuestUser
Helper V
Helper V

Security Groups in Power BI Report Server

Hi,

We have Power BI Rpeort Server (May 2019 ) on-prem ediion installed

We have created reports connecting to SSAS Tabular Mode (Live Connection)

We have implemented Custom Authentication (reference: https://github.com/Microsoft/Reporting-Services/tree/master/CustomSecuritySample)

Now , we have different folders created nd Subfolders  for Power BI Reports

For restricting access , we have manually added the user id in Manage -Security of each folder

and it is working fine as expected

eg : User 1234 when logged in can See only Folder A

User 789 when logged in can see only Folder B

My question is Now we have 150 users , I need around 80 users sshould have access to Folder A

Instead of manually adding user ids in the Manage - Security (in Folder Security)

Can a group be created ? so that i can assign group to the Folder A..and then assign User IDs to the group

Is this possible in PBIRS?

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You can't create groups directly in PBIRS, but if you get security groups created in Active Directory you can use those instead of individual users. This actually works quite well in our organization as people raise a help desk ticket requesting access to specific report areas and our help desk people just have to add them to an AD group, they don't need to know anything about SSRS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.