Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JeanMartinL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Scheduled refresh is loading older version of report

Hello,

Sometime when we save a new version of a report on Report Server the next refresh seems to bring back the previous version, for example fixed errors will come back or changed calculation will revert. 

We've been having this problem on and off since we updated to January 2020 (both Report Server and Desktop are updated), it doesn't happen systematically but it happened at least 3-4 times and I don't remember it happening before.

Here are all the steps that I've done when it last happened.

1) I received a call from user telling me that one of the visual is broken

2) I opened the report in Desktop from the report server (not local pbix)

3) There was indeed a bug in a measure, I made a quick fix

4) I did a full refresh in desktop, everything is fine

5) I saved to the report server, overwriting the previous report

6) Quickly checked the report, everything is fine

7) A few hours later I received another call, the visual is still broken (quick check, it's indeed broken)

😎 I opened the report in Desktop again

9) The report is still fine in Desktop, I did a full refresh in Desktop and everything is still working correctly.

10) Saved the report again on Report server (overwrite), I opened it, everything looks good

11) I manually started a refresh (waiting for it to finish), report is broken again.

12) This time I did a "save as" on Report Server with a different name

13) Configured the Data sources and Refresh (exactly the same as the original), manually ran the refresh (waiting for it to finish)

14) The copy works perfectly while the one that was overwritten is still bugged.

15) Repeated steps 8 to 10 but this time somehow it still works after the refresh.

16) Waited for the next scheduled refresh, everything is still fine. The issue fixed itself.

It worked in the end but I needed to save the "working" report 3 times before it did. Other times I fixed the issue by restarting the Report Server service which is hardly ideal. I'm not excluding user error as the cause but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong especially since I did the same thing multiple times with various result and this is not the first time it happens.

Anyone else encountered a similar issue? Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Apparently there is a bug which can sometimes trigger the loading of a prior version of the data model. This is meant to be fixed in the May release which is due out in the next week or so.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JeanMartinL
Advocate II
Advocate II

Similar issue today with a Query M modification.

We tweaked the M to improve query folding, saved the new report as a separate copy for testing and reduced the refresh time from 5 minutes to 1 minute. When we were happy with the result we saved over the real report but refresh stayed at 5 minutes, I checked on the SQL Server and the unfolded query was running.

Deleted the report, saved it again and it works fine.

Apparently there is a bug which can sometimes trigger the loading of a prior version of the data model. This is meant to be fixed in the May release which is due out in the next week or so.

Excellent news!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.