Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

samgreene1
Resolver I
Resolver I

Scheduled Refresh Error

Hi,

Running 15.0.2.378 on windows 2012.  The server is configured with https to name like myservice.dev.mydomain.  

When a user tries to schedule a data refresh, they get an error.  Here is some logging.  Thanks!

2018-04-04 09:58:06.0382|INFO|11|Received request POST /api/v2.0/CacheRefreshPlans| RequestID = s_70829b83-9912-483c-9d70-a6a8003b7d9d 
2018-04-04 09:58:07.6320|ERROR|11|OData exception occurred: Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010+MissingEndpointException: The attempt to connect to the report server failed.  Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with an empty response.
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SetConnectionProtocol()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(String itemPath, String description, String eventType, String matchData, ParameterValue[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapRS2010Proxy.<>c__DisplayClass32.<CreateCacheRefreshPlan>b__31()
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapAuthenticationHelper.ExecuteWithWindowsAuth[TReturn](SoapHttpClientProtocol soapClient, IPrincipal userPrincipal, Func`1 func)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SubscriptionService.CreateCacheRefreshPlan(IPrincipal userPrincipal, CacheRefreshPlan cacherefreshPlan)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.CacheRefreshPlansController.AddEntity(CacheRefreshPlan entity)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.EntitySetReflectionODataController`1.Post(ODataPath oDataPath, T value)
   at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext().| RequestID = s_70829b83-9912-483c-9d70-a6a8003b7d9d 
2018-04-04 09:58:07.6476|INFO|6|Sending response. Response code DOMAIN\User 500, Elapsed time 0:00:01.6050009| RequestID = s_70829b83-9912-483c-9d70-a6a8003b7d9d 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

While working with a helpful Microsoft employee, we found an entry in a log file that permissions were needed on a subdirectory inside the powerbi dir.  Once this was granted to the service account things are working.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
ey1020_park
Frequent Visitor

I resolved the issue by referring the page below.

https://github.com/microsoft/Reporting-Services/issues/166

1. rsreportserver.config -> set ReportServerUrl with domain address

2. entry in hosts file on the server

hope it helps.

giorgilomidze
Resolver I
Resolver I

i had 4 times this problem. two times i just restarted report server, and 2 times it was about the sql data access problems.  some data for bi user had no acces with tables thus couldnt be refreshed. 

Giorgilomidze, Thanks for the ideas.  I restared the service and tested the dataset, which is connecting to an on-prem data source and testing successfully. 

We tested this on another power bi report server and are getting the same behavior.  Looking for a fix soon, otherwise we will have to reinstall the old version.

Hey @samgreene1, couple questions for you:

1. Is this a clean install of report server or are you upgrading/migrating a previous install?

2. It wasn't clear from the post are you getting the error when you try to create the schedule or when you try to execute and existing one?

3. Are you able to share with me the RSPortal_XXXXX.log with me view private message?

4. This did work previously with the Oct. release of PBIRS?

Also one thing you can try is create a URL reservation that is not https and see if you get the error there. Thanks!

Matt M.

1.  This was an upgrade from the intial release.  However, there were no reports or folders present, it was just sitting empty.

2. This happens when creating a scheduled refresh.

3.  I will send it. 

4. Yes, it worked on the last release.

5.  I tried using http: before and just tried again and see the same behavior.

While working with a helpful Microsoft employee, we found an entry in a log file that permissions were needed on a subdirectory inside the powerbi dir.  Once this was granted to the service account things are working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @samgreene1 

I'm having the same issue witht he 500 error message, what folder was it? which log file? anything to help?

thanks

J

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

We solve this issue going to folder<Power BI Report Server Instalation>\PBIRS\ReportServer\RSTempFiles and giving following rights to the account under Power BI Report Server service is running, in our case account network service

Rights that need to be configured: Modify, Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read, Write.

I hope this helps. 

Regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please could you remember the subdirectory name? I am facing a similar problem to yours. 

Thank you very much, Kind regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the solution here?

Can you specifiy some more information?

What folder did you authorise? 

What user did you authorise?

Would be usefull to have some more information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the same dataset able to be refreshed using Power BI desktop?

Yes, the refresh works on PowerBI Desktop.  

2018-04-09_8-01-35.png

Any ideas? I have attached the error we get. This was not happening in the Oct 2017 release. We are having this issue with the March 2018 version. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might be able to get some detail on the underlying error using a query similar to the one mentioned in this post

It might at least point you in the right direction. Trying to daignose this stuff form the web log files is just painful.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The subscription is not able to be created, so I don't think any history ends up in the table.  I had to modify that script for 2012 as it doesn't have any JSON functions, but there were no data refreshes with a LastStatus <> 'Completed 

data refresh'.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.