Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Save As & Upload Fails (October 2017 releases)

I have the latest October 2017 versions installed on the server and the desktop (see below)PBI RS Version.JPGPBI Desktop Version.JPG

I get an error message when trying to save my PBIX file to the server that loads just fine within Desktop.  The PBIX was created using the July 2017 release.

1. File Save As - PBI RS.jpg2. Save To PBI RS.JPG

3. Saving.JPG4. Error Saving.JPG

This is the error I get when trying to upload it to the Server:

5. Upload.JPG

I even created a new project and I still get the same error when trying to save to the server.

What could be causing these errors?

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Check if you can use Upload button in web portal to upload pbix file. 

Please check your power bi report server service account, change it to your domain account and try again. See: the jcabgz solution here: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Error-when-deploying-a-report-to-Power-BI-Report-Server-October/m-p/302956/highlight/true#M2226

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We ended up reaching out to MS Technical Support and opened a ticket:

Problem: When trying to connect to Power BI report server you see: “the report server cannot connect to its database make sure the database is running and accessible”

Resolution: We were able to resolve this for you by completing these steps:

•  We checked the PBIRS logs and saw the Service account could not connect to the DB with access denied
  • Under the Database tab in Report Server configuration manager, we chose to connect to an existing database (the ReportServer1 DB you were using previously)
  • This reconfigured the DB permissions so the service account had access to the database
  • We deleted all the encrypted content as you did not have a encryption key backup
  • We created a new backup of the encryption key for safety
  • You tested and PBIRS worked as intended

Hope this helps someone else out there.

In my instance I fixed it by removing the "Default Website" in IIS which was listening under port 80 (without a host header).

I had a host header on PowerBI so their *should* have been no conflict. But there appears to be an issue with other sites running under port 80 and power BI running under port 80 with a host header.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.