Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TailHookPower
Frequent Visitor

Same report different visualizations formats between machines

Hi all

I have a power BI report which consumes data from an on premise SSAS multidimensional database using direct query mode. My reports shows the format correctly (percentage, number without decimal for the ranking, etc) but when I share the file with my colleague and he opens the report in a different machine, but with the same configuration (SSAS collate database, language, number format and location in the OS) he can´t view the report as I do. 

We both connect to the same cube but in diferent laptops.

His percentages are in a format like 0,0235468415685478 instead of 2,35 % , his ranking measure is like 2,00 instead of 2. 

It doesn't make sense.

We have checked twice the configuration but we haven't found where is the issue.

Our power bi desktop version is the last one.

Could anyone give me a hand please?.

It is very difficult to work with power BI if we find these strange problems.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @TailHookPower,

How did you format the percentage value and ranking measure. Please use the format option under Modeling tab as highlighted in below image. 

1.PNG

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana

Thank you for helping me.

My report consumes data from a SSAS cube using the connection live option so I can´t change the data type because it supposes that it is inheret from the cube.

Please see the picture below

Data format issue.JPG

Regards

Hi @TailHookPower,

Are you using Power BI service or Power BI Report Server? How did you share the file with your colleague? Could you please try to publish report to service (if using report server, publish to web portal), then, download to local file on his machine? Besides, let your colleague open the .pbix file with an old desktop version for a test.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana.

Thanks for your answer.

I connect to the customer´s remote machine login in its web portal. Inside the web portal I download the report to the remote hard drive.

The report show the formats in the wrong way both on one side and the other (web portal and opening the pbix with powerbi desktop).

Then I copy the pbix from the remote machine from my local hard drive and open it.  I change the data source to point to my local cube which is a backup from the remote one.

And here they are, the formats are write, the rankings are correct (1,2,3,etc.. in place of 1,00, etc..) the format porcentages are also write (25,34 %  instead of 0,25341254456).

My parther have the same issues as me in the remote machine and when he download the pbix and open it in his local machine  he don´t see any changes in the format.

What seems intriguing is that he can change the number of decimal in the graphic and after this he is able to see the write format BUT without the percentage symbol.

Everything points to the fact that power bi doesn´t respect the formats that we set up in the cube althought there are other measures that use the percentage format and it shows correctly in the reports.

Lastly and even more disconcerting is that if my partner drags a card visualization to the canvas and he selects one of the measure which fail in the visualization he sees that measure in the write format but not if he select multi-row card visualization.

So, this is what I have ...

Thanks all for your support.

Regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.