Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

meddojeddo
Helper IV
Helper IV

SSRS reports not running in PBI Report Builder

Hello,

I am new to paginated reports. I downloaded SSRS reports and opened them in PBI Report Builder. But when I try to run them, I get a message saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." When I check the connection to the data source, it says it could not connect. The data source is a shared data source to a SQL Server database which I have access to and am able to connect to and it is using my Windows credentials. But for some reason, when I download these reports, the connection is not working. Can someone explain why this is the case?

Also, when I try to create a new connection to the same data source and test the connection, I get this message:

"A connection as successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted."

I am able to connect successfully when I open a new report, but not when I am working with the ones downloaded from the SSRS web portal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One of the biggest differences is Microsoft Report Builder allows you to connect to the report server and use shared data sources. MS RB is meant to be used with the on premise Power BI Report Server and SQL Server Report Server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bradsy
Employee
Employee

Hi meddojeddo,

PBI Report Builder is not meant to work with on premise reports, but with the Power BI Service. For on premise reports, please use the MS Report Builder. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53613

Thanks for the reply. Power BI Report Server reports cannot use shared data sources regardless which report builder app I'm using, correct? So if I am migrating SSRS reports to PBI Report Server, I would need to just embedd the data sources individually in each report? But this is possible in PBI Report Builder. What features does Microsoft Report Builder have that PBI Report builder doesn't?

One of the biggest differences is Microsoft Report Builder allows you to connect to the report server and use shared data sources. MS RB is meant to be used with the on premise Power BI Report Server and SQL Server Report Server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.