Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

micheledubose
Resolver II
Resolver II

SSRS report subscription errors on Power BI Report Server

Hi,

I've created an SSRS report and published it on a Power BI Report Server web site. I've created a data driven subscription on the report. When the subscription runs, it takes a long time to complete in which an error is thrown. I've checked the ReportingServicesService log and noticed for the failed report this error, "Error occurred processing subscription: Failure writing file "my report": Report processing has been canceled by the user". It's a subscription so no person canceled it. When I try running the report, it spins for hours. So, I think the subscription is timing out due to the amount of data coming back. Is there a way to remedy this? Is there a setting on the Power BI Report Server where I can increase the timeout? Is this best practice and what's the impact of increasing the timeout setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @micheledubose ,

For timeout setting in Power BI Report Server, please refer: Server Properties Advanced Page - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Docs.

To open the setting page, try this:

start SQL Server Management Studio

→ connect to a report server instance 

→ right-click the report server name 

→ select Properties  

→ select Advanced

ssms.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

Just try the below checklist,

1. Report is running with limited data in broswer

2. Report is running with same subscription parameter values in broswer

3. If above 2 steps works then note the timings and try to run the subcription with limited value and check whether subscription is working or not

Try to create different subsctiption with different filters and combine them in excel files. we have option to configure the timeout but try do at the end after try all the above as it may impact the other report performance..

Thanks

Hari

I've modified the query time out setting in the SSRS report's data set which fixed my issue.  However, I still would like to know if there's a time out setting on the Report Server? 

Hi @micheledubose ,

For timeout setting in Power BI Report Server, please refer: Server Properties Advanced Page - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Microsoft Docs.

To open the setting page, try this:

start SQL Server Management Studio

→ connect to a report server instance 

→ right-click the report server name 

→ select Properties  

→ select Advanced

ssms.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If I change any of these settings, do I have to restart the Power BI service?

Hi @micheledubose ,

I think you are talking about Power BI Report Server, not Power BI Service.

And based on some tests, it is unnecessary to restart your Power BI Report Server after changing settings above. But it is needed to refresh the report server page to see some changes. And some settings may have some delays. 

Best Regards,

Icey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.