Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cnschulz
Helper IV
Helper IV

SSRS on PBIRS

Gday,

We are moving many SSRS reports from 2008 (!!) to 2016 as well as building a new PBIRS server. Is it best proctice to have SSRS running as a seperate install on the server or simply just run PBIRS and use that to host the SSRS reports? Apart from having alternate URLs I cant see any reason not to have a single software solution (PBIRS only)

Comments?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cnschulz wrote:

Only downside I can see is a single URL for access. Currently our two systems have /reports and /powerbireports ass the access URLs and I'd like to replicate that on the new (single instance) box.

I did not realize that you already had a PBIRS instance. I thought you were upgrading from SSRS to PBIRS.

So if you want both /reports and /powerbireports to take users to the PBIRS portal page then I think you would need to setup one of these as the "primary" web url in the Report Server Configuration Manager. Then you would need to setup the other url as a site in IIS and either configure a re-direct or url re-writing rules to point to the "primary" url. I'm not aware of any native option in PBIRS that would allow it to run the portal on two different urls.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It's best to just have PBIRS. I think you'll actually find that it's not supported to run both SSRS and PBIRS on the same machine as they tend to interfere with each other. And PBIRS is a superset of SSRS anyway.

@d_gosbellThank you. This is my preferred option. Only downside I can see is a single URL for access. Currently our two systems have /reports and /powerbireports ass the access URLs and I'd like to replicate that on the new (single instance) box.

Thanks for your help

@cnschulz wrote:

Only downside I can see is a single URL for access. Currently our two systems have /reports and /powerbireports ass the access URLs and I'd like to replicate that on the new (single instance) box.

I did not realize that you already had a PBIRS instance. I thought you were upgrading from SSRS to PBIRS.

So if you want both /reports and /powerbireports to take users to the PBIRS portal page then I think you would need to setup one of these as the "primary" web url in the Report Server Configuration Manager. Then you would need to setup the other url as a site in IIS and either configure a re-direct or url re-writing rules to point to the "primary" url. I'm not aware of any native option in PBIRS that would allow it to run the portal on two different urls.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.