Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lo_p_ez
Helper I
Helper I

SSAS live connection grayed out

Hi,

I'm testing the Power BI Report Server. I could install it and can access through the url.

My understanding is that for the report to upload correctly it needs to have SSAS live connection only. However, on Power BI Desktop (Report Server version) when I try to access this option is grayed out... Anyone can give me some insights to why this is happening?

ssas live.PNG

I tried to upload a file with a PowerQuery-generated table as in Chris Webb's blog but it returns me the following error:

"We can publish this Power BI Desktop report because it contains an unsupported data source connection or embedded data. This preview version supports only Power BI Desktop reports that connect live to SQL Server Analysis Services (on-premises)".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Looking at what you have in the dialog it could be one of two things:

1. The name of the server has to be the server name for the Analysis Server machine, you have myreportserver. Do you have Analysis Services installed on that machine?
  2. If you do have Analysis Services installed on that machine then you may have AS installed under a different instance name. If that is the case you will need to include the instance name in the server name (ServerName\InstanceName)?

Once you have a valid AS Server name and instance in the box the option should no longer be grayed out.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
thebeautiful

you can only have live connection when there are no other data sources with imported data.

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Looking at what you have in the dialog it could be one of two things:

1. The name of the server has to be the server name for the Analysis Server machine, you have myreportserver. Do you have Analysis Services installed on that machine?
  2. If you do have Analysis Services installed on that machine then you may have AS installed under a different instance name. If that is the case you will need to include the instance name in the server name (ServerName\InstanceName)?

Once you have a valid AS Server name and instance in the box the option should no longer be grayed out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.