Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rkapukaya
Helper I
Helper I

SSAS Tabular Model Process - Low Memory Error (Standard Edition)

This is the environment I work with:

1. Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition (64-bit)
  2. One database engine instance with 3 databases
  3. One Analysis Services instance with 4 databases (Tabular model, average size of each database 3.9 gb)
  4. Database engine and ssas are on same server.
  5. Server has 256gb ram; 80gb allocated to database engine, 60 gb allocated to etl tool.

I read, if SQL Server is Standard Edition, it will assign a limited memory (15gb) to analysis service database. Also I can not create a new partition for one table. I wanted to create multiple partitions for one table and refresh/process only partition which has hot data. But I couldn't do that.

So unfortunately, I have to full process for each tables. If there is an option to achieve this?

Here are my steps to process:

1. When I try to deploy ssas tabular model via Visual Studio, it throws "low memory" error. I have 10 tables in my tabular model, so I filtered table queries to "select top 10". After that I deployed the model successfully.

2. After first step, I edited and removed "top 10" part from each tables partition in SQL Server Management Studio.

3. I extracted full process script for each partitions, created a linked server between database and ssas instance.

4. I created cursor to process partition of 10 tables. But I got an error "low memory".

Here is an example of process a partition.

DECLARE @MyScript NVARCHAR(MAX) = '{"refresh":{"type":"full","objects":[{"database":"Dwh_Reports","table":"Fact Sales","partition":"Par_Fact_Sales"}]}}'

EXEC (@MyScript) AT SSAS

To sum up, my questions;

• I have 4 databases on my ssas instance. That means, per instance uses 15gb memory and i have to allocate 60gb memory to ssas?

• My ssas instance configuration is default, I didn't change anything;

Memory \ LowMemoryLimit       -> Value : 60
     Memory \ TotalMemoryLimit     -> Value : 80
     Memory \ VertiPaqMemoryLimit  -> Value : 60
     Memory \ VertiPaqPagingPolicy -> Value : 1

Do I have to change this configurations?

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rkapukaya ,

You'd better to divide your  engine instances and ssas instances to different servers. And please refer to https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/optimizing-memory-settings-in-analysis-services/  to optimize the ssas.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

What is the data source of your ssas model?

What are the size of your tables that you are processing?

Make sure that you are not pulling unnecessary columns in your data model to avoid extra space.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.