Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SSAS Live connection - Current Data

Hello, I am new to the analysis service and I have question about live connection.

I am using Power BI SSAS Live connection but every time data is updated in the data warehouse, analysis service needs to be processed (deployed) to load the updated date. as far as I know, analysis service is just a data structure and it is not saving information, thus it must always show actual data without the need to refresh, process or deploying. 

can someone advise me on how to fix this issue? I want to see live data without SSAS database need to be processed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@giorgi_lommidd wrote:

I am using Power BI SSAS Live connection but every time data is updated in the data warehouse, analysis service needs to be processed (deployed) to load the updated date. 

So processing and deployment are technically two separate operations (although the default configuration in Visual Studio does both together). Deployment is the operation that uploads the model strucuture to the server (similar to doing "CREATE TABLE" in SQL). Processing is the operation that loads that structure with data (similar to doing "INSERT" statements in SQL)

as far as I know, analysis service is just a data structure and it is not saving information, thus it must always show actual data without the need to refresh, process or deploying. 

SSAS models can be created in 2 different modes. Import mode which does store a copy of the data or Direct Query mode which does not store any data, instead it generates SQL queries against a relational data source.

Are you saying that your model is in direct query mode or are you unsure?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@giorgi_lommidd wrote:

I am using Power BI SSAS Live connection but every time data is updated in the data warehouse, analysis service needs to be processed (deployed) to load the updated date. 

So processing and deployment are technically two separate operations (although the default configuration in Visual Studio does both together). Deployment is the operation that uploads the model strucuture to the server (similar to doing "CREATE TABLE" in SQL). Processing is the operation that loads that structure with data (similar to doing "INSERT" statements in SQL)

as far as I know, analysis service is just a data structure and it is not saving information, thus it must always show actual data without the need to refresh, process or deploying. 

SSAS models can be created in 2 different modes. Import mode which does store a copy of the data or Direct Query mode which does not store any data, instead it generates SQL queries against a relational data source.

Are you saying that your model is in direct query mode or are you unsure?

I am Using import mode. I have backed up SSAS DB to another computer, where SQL DB wasn't transferred and I could connect with "live connection" and with "import" modes of power bi to that SSAS DB model (cube) and could see values. this means SSAS is in Import mode right?

How can I change it to a live mode? The "supported Compatibility level" is 1100. 

Screenshot_1.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.