Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

manalla
Helper V
Helper V

SSAS DNS name not working from Report Server:

Hi,

I am able to connect to my SSAS Instance with DNS/Alias name from SSMS and Power BI desktop.

But once report is published to report server, it fails to render data. And when i modify the connection string to acutal server name(instead of DNS name), it works well. 

I cant as my power user to change the connection string for every report they publish.

PBIRS version is May 2019 and SSAS Tabular is 2016 SQL Server.

Please suggest if there are any fixes to be done here.

Thanks

Manoj

7 REPLIES 7
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Are your Power BI Report Server and SSAS instances on separate machines? If so you probably have a Kerberos configuration issue.

SSMS and Power BI Desktop can fall back to using NTLM authentication as they only do a single "hop" connection

Client --> SSAS Server

But if Power BI Report Server is running on it's own server (which is a best practice) then you have the following:

Client --> Report Server --> SSAS Server

Where each of the arrows (-->) is a network hop and NTLM can only do single hop scenarios, for more than one network "hop" you need to have Kerberos configured and the SPNs and constrained delegation settings need to be setup with the correct name. It sounds like you might have these configured using the server name, not the DNS name.

Hi @d_gosbell 

Thanks for your response. 

SSAS instance and PBIRS are on same server box.

I will check if Keberos delegation is setup for this use case. If now will follow documentation and set it up.

Thanks

Manoj

No, if the two services are running on the one server Kerberos is not your issue.

What error do you get when using the DNS name?

If you log on to the server can you ping the DNS name and does it resolve correctly? 

Hi @d_gosbell 

• Once connection string is modified to have DNS name and click on test connection, i get below error message:

The report server couldn't connect to the data source using the information you entered. Make sure you've entered the connection string and any credentials correctly.

Hide error details 

The connection either timed out or was lost.

• If i just save the connection string with out testing the connection. I get below message while report is rendering/loading the data

We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly.

Thanks

Manoj

So you or an admin needs to remote desktop onto the server and see if you can ping the DNS name. If this fails (which I'm thinking it might) then you'll need to work with your IT people to figure out why. 

Hi @d_gosbell 

I did ping the DNS name from server (by connection from remote desktop). And DNS name is being pinged with out issue.

Kerberos delegation setup is needed when i have SSAS Instance and PBIRS on same server box?

Thanks

Manoj

@manalla wrote:

I did ping the DNS name from server (by connection from remote desktop). And DNS name is being pinged with out issue.

Hmm, I'm not really sure what else to suggest here. My only guess was that something was going wrong with the name resolution which does not appear to be the case. I can't think why else the DNS name would work from client machines, but not from the server.

Kerberos delegation setup is needed when i have SSAS Instance and PBIRS on same server box?

No, Kerberos is not required if SSAS and PBIRS are on the same box.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors