Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DerekD
Frequent Visitor

SSAS Calculation Groups in Report Builder

I'm building reports in Power BI Report Builder using calculation groups (time intelligence) in a live connection to an SSAS Tabular model. Reporting Services is querying SSAS via an MDX query (since DAX has big issues with multi-value parameters). When the report is run, it doesn't seem to constrain the date values - the same calculations work properly in Power BI. I have max & min date measures in the calendar table - the report is displaying the min and max values of the selected date parameters, not the calculations for YTD, MTD, TTM, etc... Has anyone else experienced this?

2 REPLIES 2
bradsy
Employee
Employee

There is a little known feature in Report Builder for Multi Value Parameters with DAX. DAX does not natively support MVP's, a placeholder trick was put in the query designer.

Untitled.png

The button on the far right enables the parameters. It is not a perfect solution, but it does work for most cases. The query will only work when run in a current report server, SSDT or Report Builder.

DerekD
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I've known about that feature, but it still doesn't work well with hierarchies and such that I've got going on. Besides, using DAX isn't my issue - the problem is that the calculation groups for time intelligence don't seem to be working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.