Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Naverie
Helper I
Helper I

SQL Server

Hi,

We have a report we have created using sql server connections and then tables created on the fly in Power BI.

The business is now wanting to publish this report but aren't able to as the data needs to be converted to SQL.

However, from what I can gather (and I am certainly no expert) as long as the data is coming via a direct query to connect to the tables then this should be able to be published. There are some tables that need to be looked at as the below error message shows when trying to load the report, but once these are sorted you should still be able to transform the data within Power BI?

Naverie_0-1619182659419.png

If someone could help that would be greatly appreicated as I don't want to have to create all these new tables in SQL if not needed.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I would suggest that you choose one way.  In PBI RS you cannot mix Import and direct query data sources.   When you say on the Fly,  are these being created thru M functions or are they dependent on joins to directquery data sources?   If you are going to stage data this way,  it's probably best you do that on the SQL end or just use import.    Again, all that depends on your use case,  but what you are wanting to do is not doable in PBI RS.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I would suggest that you choose one way.  In PBI RS you cannot mix Import and direct query data sources.   When you say on the Fly,  are these being created thru M functions or are they dependent on joins to directquery data sources?   If you are going to stage data this way,  it's probably best you do that on the SQL end or just use import.    Again, all that depends on your use case,  but what you are wanting to do is not doable in PBI RS.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.