Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SQL Server Needed for Report server info

We are getting Premium capacity so want to utilise the Power BI report server license that comes with P1 to offer both a cloud and on-premise solution. I'm a bit confused as to what SQL server version I have to install to host the report server database. Surely we don't have to buy an additional license for SQL server to enable users to install report server. If this isn't the case what so I need to install before the report server install.

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

Anything from SQL Server 2012 should work for you.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-bi/report-server/system-requirements

Any SQL server should need a license. Your premium license provides you a license to Report Server, but not SQL Server as far as I know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we run this under a developer license (i.e. free) or do wee need to purchase something else?

If it is for a development environment then yes you can se dev license. If it is in prod you'll want to license the install.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take it then we can just get away with a standard SQL server license for production. It seems a bit overkill installing an enterprise license just to host two report server databases.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If we get PBI report server through either premium capacity or SA can we use SQL express to host the database?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.