Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bustardo
Helper I
Helper I

SQL Server EE + SA Is it necessary that it be 2016 EE?

Where I work we're trying to setup the on premesis power BI server.  We have SQL server enterprise edition with SA but I don't know if we have 2016. Is it required that the license be for 2016?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Bustardo,

Before you install Power BI Report Server, it is recommended that you review the Hardware and software requirements for installing Power BI Report Server, to determine whether you need SQL Server 2016 installed. A license is need if you would like to install SQL 2016 to host report server database.

If you have a SQL Server Enterprise SA agreement, you can get the product key which is used for Power BI Report Server installation from the Volume Licensing Sevice Center

For more information about how to install PBI Report Server, please see: Install Power BI Report Server

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, That worked for us.

@gyangupta Are you seeing the base version of SQL 2016 EE in the list? I can only see SP1 and SP2 and neither of them have the key info.

This does not work for us. If I select SQL 2016 EE SP1 or SP2 it just says "licence key is no longer needed to install SQL server"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.