10-08-2018 09:25 PM
I do understand that if I have SQL Server EE + SA = Free Power BI Report Server.
If I have 100 users
1. 30 of them are report creator that share their reports to others. Is this Pro or Premium? What are the license cost & annual subscription cost per user?
2. 70 are normal users who views the reports, can they use Power BI Desktop? If not, use Pro or Premium? What is cost per user for Premium on License & annual subscription?
3. What is the difference between Premium & Pro version? Is Pro version is higher than Premium version?
4. If one day, the number of users increase to above 500, where 100 are report creator and 400 are viewers. Does it means I would need 100 Pro and 400 Premium? Any cheaper alternative license package?
01-08-2019 03:47 AM
- The Report creators need a Pro licence ONLY if they are to publish to the Power BI Report Server. You can get by with only one Pro licence for one person to publish.
- The use of Power BI Desktop is free if they are only creating the reports. Be sure that any Power BI report creator is using the Power BI Desktop for report server. You can tell this in the application as it will have a month and year in brackets next to the application name in the top left hand corner eg Power BI Desktop (March 2018)
- There is Desktop version for Standalone, Pro lets you share reports to other Pro Users and premium is like report server but more as it is a service in the cloud. When you purchase Power BI Premium, you gain access to dedicated Power BI resources in the cloud. With Power BI Premium, you are able to host Power BI reports like Power BI Report Server and gives you the ability to create Power BI Dashboards, leverage the Natural Query Language, Quick Insights. So if your purchasing Power BI Premium, you have access to all of these really neat Power BI cloud features.
- Answer should be clear in the above