Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zmcqdv
Regular Visitor

(SQL Server EE + SA) + Differences between Premium, Pro and Deskstop

Hi,

I do understand that if I have SQL Server EE + SA = Free Power BI Report Server.

If I have 100 users

1. 30 of them are report creator that share their reports to others. Is this Pro or Premium? What are the license cost & annual subscription cost per user?

2. 70 are normal users who views the reports, can they use Power BI Desktop? If not, use Pro or Premium? What is cost per user for Premium on License & annual subscription?

3. What is the difference between Premium & Pro version? Is Pro version is higher than Premium version?

4. If one day, the number of users increase to above 500, where 100 are report creator and 400 are viewers. Does it means I would need 100 Pro and 400 Premium? Any cheaper alternative license package?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. The Report creators need a Pro licence ONLY if they are to publish to the Power BI Report Server. You can get by with only one Pro licence for one person to publish.
  2. The use of Power BI Desktop is free if they are only creating the reports. Be sure that any  Power BI report creator is using the Power BI Desktop for report server. You can tell this in the application as it will have a month and year in brackets next to the application name in the top left hand corner eg Power BI Desktop (March 2018)
  3. There is Desktop version for Standalone, Pro lets you share reports to other Pro Users and premium is like report server but more as it is a service in the cloud. When you purchase Power BI Premium, you gain access to dedicated Power BI resources in the cloud. With Power BI Premium, you are able to host Power BI reports like Power BI Report Server and gives you the ability to create Power BI Dashboards, leverage the Natural Query Language, Quick Insights. So if your purchasing Power BI Premium, you have access to all of these really neat Power BI cloud features.
  4. Answer should be clear in the above
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a shame this question was never answered. I also want to know this information as soon as possible. Online, it says for License: Power BI Premium or SQL Server EE with SA. I have SQL Server EE with SA. How should I license the rest?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors