cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bsamuelsSUN Visitor
Visitor

SQL Server 2012 v SQL Server 2016 for PBIRS

We're evaluating the implementation of the Power BI Report Server in order to use it as an on-prem solution for our users across the group. We already have SQL servers in place and majority of the users will only need to consume reports. 

According to the minimum requirements here, SQL Server 2012 is included in the list but I've been advised that you should have a minimum of SQL Server 2016. I've also seen this elsewhere in my research.

Can anyone help shed some light on this?  

Are there any other issues to keep in mind with implementing the report server with SQL Server 2012?

We have other applications that are not compatible with later versions of SQL and would be replaced as part of a larger project with a time horizon of 2-3 years. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 418 members 4,127 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: