Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SergK
Regular Visitor

SMTP TLS 1.2

Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2019 (all updates) and a PBI Report Server May 2021 - 15.0.1106.169.

I use the standard functionality for sending email in PBI + Exchange Online mailbox.

Server 2019 support tls 1.2 from the box.

The problem:

PBI sends mail using tls 1.0 - I can see this in the tls usage reports on M365

According to the MS documentation, support for tls 1.0 and 1.1 will be discontinued in 2022.

How to force PBI to use TLS 1.2 for email?

PS I apologize for my English.

6 REPLIES 6
SergK
Regular Visitor

after I disabled tls 1.0 and 1.1, the mail stopped being sent at all.

ERROR: Error sending email. Exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndGetConnection(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.ConnectCallback(IAsyncResult result)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.EmailDeliveryProvider.EmailProvider.Deliver(Notification notification)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The client and server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndGetConnection(IAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.ConnectCallback(IAsyncResult result)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---<---
. Additional Information: SmtpException StatusCode:GeneralFailure

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@SergK 

I guess you are looking for this doc:

Preparing for TLS 1.2 in Office 365 and Office 365 GCC - Microsoft 365 Compliance | Microsoft Docs

Vpazhenmsft_0-1632722432993.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, 

what do you suggest? disable 1.1 and 1.0 on the server entirely? I can try.

What about Basic Auth?

SergK
Regular Visitor

And more:

Microsoft announced that they are restarting the program to end the use of Basic Auth in Exchange Online. Beginning October 1, 2022, Microsoft will begin to disable Basic Auth in all tenants, regardless of usage.

Need support Modern Authentication in PBI.

why doesn't anyone care?

SergK
Regular Visitor

the most recent update:

Today, we are announcing that, effective October 1, 2022, we will begin to permanently disable Basic Auth in all tenants, regardless of usage (with the exception of SMTP Auth, which can still be re-enabled after that).

so in theory, PBI will be able to send mail after October 1, 22

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors