Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TomD
Frequent Visitor

SAN Certificate

I have a certificate expiring on my Power BI server. I'm replacing it with a SAN certificate because my boss wants to use another name to reference the server. I'm using the instructions below on my Version 1.6.7236.4246 (September 2019) test server. This works fine except for Power BI reports, which return an 'unexpected error' in the browser. The log file entry is below. Report Builder reports works fine, it's just the Power BI reports that won't display. 

Has anybody seen this before and know how to resolve it? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-server-sharepoint/configure-reporting...

|ERROR|5|OData exception occurred: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Utils.PbixReportHelper.ShouldReShred(PowerBIReport entity, Uri basePortalUrl, ILogger logger, IPrincipal userPrincipal, String reportServerHostName)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Common.CatalogItemControllerHelper`1.GetItem(String key)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Common.CatalogItemControllerHelper`1.GetAllowedActions(String Id)
at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass10.<GetExecutor>b__9(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext().| RequestID = s_9e6350f6-a78c-47c0-90bb-fc4f558b7de9

1 REPLY 1
TomD
Frequent Visitor

I got the SAN certificate working and I'll explain the slight difference for Power BI server in case anybody runs into this problem.

1. The instructions are pretty good, but be carefull when adding the urlacl. I copied the entry from the link and didn't change the user parameter. For SSRS the default install uses NT Service\ReportServer, but Power BI uses NT SERVICE\PowerBIReportServer. 

2. Additionally, I couldn't get the new SAN name to work until I added a http (port 80) entry for the SAN name in the Web Service URL Advanced screen.

Everything seems to be working now. Both my original and new URL names are working for all content. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.