Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gilmar-Neto

Running the schedule updates to get data from SharePoint lists

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find the best solution to an unfortunate situation here:

We created a big report with BI Desktop using SharePoint lists as data source, everything is working fine and looking good so far.

Now we had to put it into production on our Report Server (because scheduled updates are exactly what we need) and for some strange reason it doesn't support the web version SharePoint lists (even though both products are from Microsoft)... How is this designed to be used in a situation like this?

If I try to connect through the Report Server I can only authenticate as "Anonymous" or with "Windows Login", but as we are dealing with data that only a group of people in the company have access to we need to be able to log in using some credential such as an e-mail that has permission to view this information.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Sharepoint Online is listed here as not supported for scheduled refresh. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources 

You options are to either:

• manually refresh the report
  • build another process which can pull the data to another location (like a local SQL database) which is supported for scheduled refresh
  • move the list to on-prem Sharepoint (if you have it)
  • move your report to the Power BI Service and use a Data Gateway if you also need data from on-prem

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Gilmar-Neto

Thanks @d_gosbell  for the answer.

Manually updating the report like "open the desktop version and click update" would probably not be enough, we're looking for something the user can open this report online and it just works.

I was wondering: would it be possible to use Power Automate to export the SharePoint lists as an Excel file (as .xls) and store it in OneDrive and then use Report Server to update the reports using those new files in OneDrive? Is there something I'm missing that might make this not work?

I can change the connections in BI to the new files without much problem, right?

Thanks!

@Gilmar-Neto wrote:

I was wondering: would it be possible to use Power Automate to export the SharePoint lists as an Excel file (as .xls) and store it in OneDrive and then use Report Server to update the reports using those new files in OneDrive? Is there something I'm missing that might make this not work?

Nope. It's not so much the data location that is the issue, its the AzureAD/OAuth2 authentication that is the problem. OneDrive uses the same authentication as Sharepoint Online so its not supported for scheduled refresh either.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Sharepoint Online is listed here as not supported for scheduled refresh. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources 

You options are to either:

• manually refresh the report
  • build another process which can pull the data to another location (like a local SQL database) which is supported for scheduled refresh
  • move the list to on-prem Sharepoint (if you have it)
  • move your report to the Power BI Service and use a Data Gateway if you also need data from on-prem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.