Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpombal
Post Patron
Post Patron

Row Level Security in Report Server with Direct Query

I need to use Row Level Security in a report with  Direct Query connection to SQL Server published in Power BI Report Server.

But I don't understand this limitation, I am nos sure which type of security my server is using. Looking for ideas on how to perform RLS in  Direct Query over  Power BI Report  Server

If you're using integrated security with DirectQuery, then your users may notice:

• RLS is disabled and all data is returned.
  • Users can't update their role assignments, and get an error on the RLS Manage page.
  • For the DAX username function, you continue to receive the username as DOMAIN\USER.

Report authors don't have access to view the report data in Power BI Report Server until they've assigned themselves roles accordingly after uploading the report.

Role assignments through group memberships are only supported when the Power BI Report Server is configured to run with NTLM or Kerberos authentication. Servers running with Custom authentication or Windows Basic need users explicitly assigned to roles.

1 REPLY 1
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @dpombal 

I suggest you ask about sql server admin. If there is no special configuration, just set up RLS directly, please refer to the link below for specific tutorial. Just use DOMAIN\User format.

Choose an Authentication Mode - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

RLS setting:

Row-level security (RLS) in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.