cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy_scott42 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Row Level Security in Power BI Report Server

Thanks @davidm5.

So if I have a person with 2 territories in the Territory table how will this filter display both territories? 

So for example, if I have a pie chart and want to filter it to only show the regions the user has in the SalesTerritoryRLS table, I would set the filter to filterRLS >= 1?

Thanks.

davidm5 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

No, you should still use filterRLS = 1.  You just need a row per sales territory/user in the filter table.

The measure is evaluated per row of data being displayed in your visual, so as long as there's a single row in the filter table with that sales territory/user combination the measure should still evaluate to 1.  This is working for me in my proof of concept.

Regular Visitor

Great that works perfectly. I was just unsure about how it was evaulating it.

Can I use that measure in a slicer? So it filters my slicer to only show the matching Territories?

davidm5 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I think what you want is to have a slicer that shows only the sales territories that the logged-in user is allowed to see, that you want to do that by showing the sales territory in the slicer and filtering the slicer using the filterRLS measure.  Problem is that you can't put a visual filter on a slicer.

There may be some kind of hack or workaround, but not one I'm aware of off hand.  Best I can think of is instead of a slicer, having a table that lists all the sales territories and when the user clicks on a row in that table it filters everything else on the page.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help @davidm5.

I'll have to find a workaround for the filters. 

Anas Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I applied the visual filter and it works but when the report is published in the report server, the end user has the filter pane that can use to cancel the filter applied for each visual.

Your idea is great but is there any way to avoid the end user to edit the filter from the front end report.

thank you for your help

davidm5 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately not that I know of.  That is a huge problem with this approach.  It's more a Row Level Suggestion than actual Row Level Security - a convenient way to pre-filter a report for users, but not true security.

Anas Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I was looking if there is a way to use a measure as report level filter or as slicer.

A slicer can be used in hidden page ans sync to be applied to all the report.

But I'm unable to find a way to use a measure as slicer.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hey,

I'm not sure if you are aware of this recent post by Christopher Finlan that you can find here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-release-timing-update/

Here it is stated that with next release of Power BI Report Server that is scheduled for January 2019, it will then support Row Level Security 🙂

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
I accept Kudos :-), If you find my post helpful.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

January 2020 Community Highlights

January 2020 Community Highlights

Make sure you didn't miss any of the things that happened in the community in January!