Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nitin_goel05
Regular Visitor

Row Level Security in Power BI Report Server

Hi, I am trying to implement 'Row Level Security' in Power BI On premise-solution

1. Creating roles in 'Microsoft Power BI Desktop for Report Server - October 2017' works fine in desktop but then there is no option to add users to these specific 'Row Level Security groups' in Power BI report server. In Power BI online, there is option to add users/ groups once reports are published from desktop to cloud. I cannot see similar option in report server

2. I tried to create a SQL table and tried to implement row level security dynamically by reading data. The table is in below format

UserId               SecurityGroup

domain/test1    USA

domain/test2    Europe

domain/test3    Asia

Then I created a Role which filters based on username() in 'Microsoft Power BI Desktop for Report Server - October 2017' Again, this is working fine in 'Microsoft Power BI Desktop for Report Server - October 2017' but when I "SAVE AS" the report to "Power BI Report Server" then the security is not working All users are able to see data for all countries. I am providing 'Browser' role to the users in report server. Any idea what I am doing wrong in the set-up? Or how can I implement row level security in reports saved to Report Server?

28 REPLIES 28

No, in this scenario the report consumers don't require a Power BI license.  The report developer still requires a Pro license to publish the report to the server.

Great! Thanks a lot for the quick answer

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have succesfully implemented Row Level Security, however we have had to create a SSAS Tabular Model to do it. Hopefully there are plans in the future to make Row Level Security easier.

The article below uses a good example as to how it can be done (same way as we implemented it):

https://www.blue-granite.com/blog/using-dynamic-row-level-security-with-organizational-hierarchies

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info jdenne.  It's too bad they haven't added Row Level Security into Power BI Report Server yet.  I guess we will go down this route and see if it will work for what we are trying to do without creating too much additional work.

AdamF
Helper I
Helper I
praseejbk
Advocate I
Advocate I

As far as I know still, it was not implimented, but we can use another way to create a measure as given below

filterRLS =

CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS(Data),
Data[UserName] = USERNAME())

above DAX,  Data is the table name and Data[UserName] is the filed. User name format is "<domain\username>". after creating the measure you can filter using report level as FilterRLS =1.

it will filter according the current user.. enjoy..

I setup the measure like you mentioned, but am having troubles applying it as a report level filter.

I am able to set report level filters with table columns, but measures seem to not be allowed.  I drag the measure over to the report level filter section but it will not take the measure.  Would you please explain a little more on how to do this?

Thank you in advance 🙂 - This has been a real PITA, and I wish Microsoft would just add RLS to Report Server (On-Prem).

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nitin_goel05,

Please have a look at my reply in this similar thread.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.