Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BBIUser
Helper IV
Helper IV

Row Level Security in Power BI Report Server (also with AD Groups)

Hi,

Does the Power BI Report Server (Version - March 2018) support Row Level Security?

Power BI Desktop (March 2018) does provide the "Manage Roles" functionality and I was able to create RLS (Table filter DAX) in Desktop with direct query connecting to SQL Server DB but after publishing it to Report Server, I do not see an option to manage RLS. 

1) how can I manage those roles/users/groups in Report Server for the above scenario? 

Here is a latest Microsoft article which tells that Row Level Security supports "Only through data source in DirectQuery mode".

2) What does that mean? Does it support Direct Query data connection through SQL Server DB? Does it work after publishing it to Report Server? If Yes, how to do it and how does it work? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/compare-report-server-service

3) Is it possible to use RLS based on Active Directory groups in Report Server? How? Should the AD group be table driven?

Should I even create RLS (Table filter DAX) in Desktop with direct query connecting to SQL Server DB if I want to use the AD group?

Note:

-I tested RLS in Power BI Service and works fine. 

-Our organization does not use SSAS.

I did go through number of Microsoft articles and community posts. It points to the older Power BI versions or talks mostly about Power BI Service.

Any insights on how it works only in Power BI Report Server connecting to SQL Server DB and with use of AD Group will be very helpful.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
adumont
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm also really interesting in this topic.

dmakoni
Regular Visitor

Hi there,

Did you ever get a response on these very simple but pointed questions from Microsoft?

I would really like to know what to tell my clients now regarding RLS and Power BI Report server. SSAS is not an option, and neither is using the service. 

@Microsoft, please just tell us how exactly you say RLS is supported using direct query on SQL server 2016+?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BBIUser

We have implemented it via SSAS but I have seen another post recently where someone has done it by creating a table in SQL (see link below):

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Row-Level-Security-using-any-source-data-base-file/td-...

I hope this helps.

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.