Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mehmet-vrp
Frequent Visitor

Restriction on the Report Server Deployment Server node?

Hi all,

Suppose that we have a 4-core pack SQL Server Enterprise license. Do I need to run Power BI Report Server,   SSIS ,SQL Server Analysis Services  on the same server as SQL Server running on? 

Can I deploy  Power BI Report Server, SSIS, Analysis Services  applications on different machines with higher number of cores?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mehmet-vrp ,

>>Can I deploy  Power BI Report Server, SSIS, Analysis Services  applications on different machines with higher number of cores?  

As far as I know you can do it. Divide your  engine instances and ssas instances to different servers would be a perfect suggestion. 

And please refer to https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/optimizing-memory-settings-in-analysis-services/  to optimize the ssas.

And pay attention to If you're creating the report server database on a database server on a different machine, change the service account for the report server to a credential that is recognized on the database server.  Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-report-server#creating-a-database-on...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

From technical point of view, yes I agree with @v-deddai1-msft , is good practice divide instances to different (virtual) machines, at least, separate SQL Server DB (maybe with SSIS), from SSAS and Power BI RS instances.

From licence point of view, as far as I know, you can NOT install any SQL server product to additional machines and additional (physical) cores. Any MS SQL product part (including SSAS , SSIS, RS) must be licenced. I think, if you have MSSQL EE with SA for 4core, you can install to only one 4core virtual machine for all, or you can install on any number of virtual machines hosted on one 4core physical machine.

But I still recommends, divide your instances, at least to MSSQL DB, and to other instances. Additionally you can combine editions, e.g. you can install MSSQL DB on one machine (where is enough cheaper SQL Standard without SA), and SSAS+Power BI on another machine (where you need EE with SA).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

From technical point of view, yes I agree with @v-deddai1-msft , is good practice divide instances to different (virtual) machines, at least, separate SQL Server DB (maybe with SSIS), from SSAS and Power BI RS instances.

From licence point of view, as far as I know, you can NOT install any SQL server product to additional machines and additional (physical) cores. Any MS SQL product part (including SSAS , SSIS, RS) must be licenced. I think, if you have MSSQL EE with SA for 4core, you can install to only one 4core virtual machine for all, or you can install on any number of virtual machines hosted on one 4core physical machine.

But I still recommends, divide your instances, at least to MSSQL DB, and to other instances. Additionally you can combine editions, e.g. you can install MSSQL DB on one machine (where is enough cheaper SQL Standard without SA), and SSAS+Power BI on another machine (where you need EE with SA).

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mehmet-vrp ,

>>Can I deploy  Power BI Report Server, SSIS, Analysis Services  applications on different machines with higher number of cores?  

As far as I know you can do it. Divide your  engine instances and ssas instances to different servers would be a perfect suggestion. 

And please refer to https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/optimizing-memory-settings-in-analysis-services/  to optimize the ssas.

And pay attention to If you're creating the report server database on a database server on a different machine, change the service account for the report server to a credential that is recognized on the database server.  Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-report-server#creating-a-database-on...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.