Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iovatekevin

Reports sporadically stuck spinning while on VPN but not on LAN

We've been experiencing some odd behaviour with our PowerBI reports. 

We currently have an on-premise PowerBI report server running our SSRS reports.  In the recent week or so, we've been having sporadic issues with reports just stuck on loading but only on VPN.  When the report is stuck on loading while on VPN, if I run the same report at the same time on LAN - the report completes in a matter of seconds.  When running on LAN the reports complete every time, all the time.

A few points lead me to believe it isn't VPN related or at least not entirely.

1. Spoke with our network admin and there has been no routing/firewall rule changes.  PowerBI was working well up until the past week or so.

2. Works on VPN sometimes since the report of this issue. However it is sporadic and random as to when it decides to work or not.

3. PowerBI reports was working on VPN

We did do an upgrade to the Janurary 2022 update of PowerBI server on Feburary 8th but we had sucessful runs of reports during that time until the reported issue.  The server itself looks to be fine, resources are normal and no obvious issues on the server or logs.

Has anyone experienced this? This issue has gotten me quite stumped since the results are not consistent.

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I have not experienced anything like this. If you are not seeing issues in the server logs have you tried checking in the Browser dev tools. I see one error in there about not having access to a manifest.json file, but I don't think that is affecting anything. It's possible that there is some javascript issue that is affecting the reports over the VPN and you may see errors in the console or network tabs which might give you a hint as to what is going on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.