Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M_nwadibia
Resolver III
Resolver III

Reporting Service and Power BI Desktop compatibility problem

Hello,

I am having a compatibility issue between Reporting server and Power Bi Desktop report.

Below is the error message I get. The report is developed in May 2022 optimized version but the reporting service version is January 2022. see below the screen shot.

How can I solve the problem?

M_nwadibia_0-1664557372219.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M_nwadibia ,

Pls try to update your Power BI Report Server  to the latest version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56722 

The version of Power  BI Desktop for RS  is later then  Power  BI Report Server will cause this quesiton .The server is backward compatible but the desktop clients are not. If someone were to use the March 2020 version they could save to the May 2020 server. If someone were to use the October 2020 desktop version they would not be able to save to the server.

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @M_nwadibia ,

Pls try to update your Power BI Report Server  to the latest version:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56722 

The version of Power  BI Desktop for RS  is later then  Power  BI Report Server will cause this quesiton .The server is backward compatible but the desktop clients are not. If someone were to use the March 2020 version they could save to the May 2020 server. If someone were to use the October 2020 desktop version they would not be able to save to the server.

Best Regards

Lucien

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So you should use the version of Desktop which matches the version of the server that you have installed if you want to avoid this issue. If you want to fix this particular report you can look at the options I have at the end of this blog post Power BI Report Server – fixing “Can’t upload this report” – Random Procrastination (gosbell.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.