Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report with multiple connections seems to try to use both in one query?

We have an odd issue; a report with 2 data sources (import mode): Server 1 database A and server 2 database B.

Server 1 is UAT and  Server 2 is production (but have the same databases A and B), so when the report is published to the Report server, they use different accounts with different privileges.

We have some queries created under the datasource for server 1, but which have joins to the database that is specified in the server B datasource; however, as it exists on Server 1,  you would expect the query to run only against the databases on Server 1.

However, our scheduled refresh is failing saying that the server 1 account cannot access database B  - which MUST mean database B on Server 2 (production), as the account would be able to access database B on server 1.

I get the same error in PBi Desktop if I use the same credentials as on the server.

Is there some oddity within the Power Query model that might do this? i cannot find anyone who seems to have had a similar issue.

The error is:

Details:
    DataSourceKind=SQL
    DataSourcePath=Server 1;Database A
    Message=The server principal "xxxx" is not able to access the database "Database B" under the current security context.
    Number=916
    Class=14

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

We have some queries created under the datasource for server 1, but which have joins to the database that is specified in the server B datasource; however, as it exists on Server 1,  you would expect the query to run only against the databases on Server 1.

No I would not expect this at all. If you have 2 connections pointing at different servers I would always expect the query to run against the server specified in the connection. If you want all your queries to run against server 1 you would need to change both connections to point to server 1.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many apologies, this turned out not to be a cross-server issue but a permissions issue on the UAT server - at least that made sense. Thnk you for taking the time to consider it though

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.