Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mivar99
Helper I
Helper I

Report server

Hi

Can somone please explain the reason for both having separte reporting services application AND a separate power bi desktop application ?

And will the latter contain all the new enhancements as they come every month - last version of power bi desktop for report server i found was in june ?

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mivar99,

Power BI desktop for report server is used for authoring Power BI report, then you can save the report to report server, share and manage reports via web portal. Please note publish PBIX reports from Desktop will require a Pro License for production usage. You can go through this article: Get started with Power BI Report Server

The latest Power BI report server is August Preview version, you can check updates from this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/reportserver-release-notes/  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tx But i know all that and are already using it

My question is why is power bi report server a separate reporting services instance

So u need to instaææ normalt reporting services plus power bi reporting server

And what About updates. Desktop is updated montlhy. Will report server too ?

Hi @mivar99,

1. My question is why is power bi report server a separate reporting services instance
   So u need to instaææ normalt reporting services plus power bi reporting server

Power BI Report Server combines the self-service BI capabilities of Power BI Desktop and Power BI reports with the enterprise reporting capabilities of SSRS. Power BI Report Server is a superset of SSRS, including all its capabilities -- plus Power BI reports.

Power BI Premium introduces the ability to maintain BI assets on-premises with Power BI Report Server. Power BI Report Server is an on-premises server that allows the deployment and distribution of interactive Power BI reports – and traditional paginated reports – completely within the boundaries of the organization’s firewall. With Power BI Premium the same number of virtual cores an organization provisions in the cloud can also be deployed on-premises through Power BI Report Server, without the need to split the capacity. Organizations can choose Power BI in the cloud, or select to keep reports on-premises with Power BI Report Server and move to the cloud at their pace.

Power BI Premium is a capacity-based licensing model that increases flexibility for how users access, share and distribute content. It enables Power BI Pro users to publish reports broadly across the enterprise and beyond, without

requiring recipients to be licensed per user. Power BI Report Server which is included in Power BI Premium, enables wider distribution of Power BI reports on-premises without the need to license report consumers with per user licenses. Hence Power BI Report Server is a natural fit into the Power BI Premium offering.

2. And what About updates. Desktop is updated montlhy. Will report server too ?
The Power BI Report Server will follow Microsoft’s modern lifecycle support policy. We plan to release a new version of the product 3 times per year (ever ~4 months), followed by bug fix and security updates for that Report Server version

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Very valuable answers

Tx a lot !

Last question

How do i tell which desktop version works with current version of power bi report server ?

I want to be sure that users use the one that can deploy with no problems at a given time

Hi @mivar99,

Every time you download the PowerBIReportServer.exe, you can let the client users download the PBIDesktopRS.msi or PBIDesktopRS_x64.msi from this same download page as well. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

mivar99
Helper I
Helper I

is it necessary to have own power bi report server simply due to licensing?

and will thise report server then be a fully functional 2017 report server ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.