Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report server data not synching

Hi everyone,

We created and publish a power bi report in the report server - All went well.

But for some reasons, the data is not refreshing when the data source is in import mode (From Sharepoint or SQL data base) + Scheduled refresh threw an error : " Something went wron, please try again"

When trying the direct query mode, it works fine (BUT we cant use DAX formulas so it useless)

Any advise?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would suggest starting by checking the log files. Which are usually stored at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles.

There are different log files for the different components of PBIRS. I would probably start checking the RSPowerBI_* logs first.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Usually when that happens to the reports I publish on server, it is a case of missing or incorrect data source credentials. I think it's a bug of some sorts where the credentials don't carry over from desktop to server when publishing. Can you check that the credentials are correct under data source settings when you click "Manage" report? Be sure to test connection and then scroll to the bottom and hit save before you exit the "Manage" page. Also, you CAN use DAX in direct query, you're just very limited to what you can use which is explained in microsoft documentations. Hope this helps. 

pborah_2-1600972337923.png

pborah_1-1600972034191.png

@pborah wrote:

I think it's a bug of some sorts where the credentials don't carry over from desktop to server when publishing.

That's not a bug it's a deliberate security measure that they do not push stored credentials from desktop. Plus you also have the scenario where users will use personal credentials while developing on desktop whereas on the server the admin might setup an account for the refresh with a non-expiring password.

The server also disables the option to configure a scheduled refresh until any data sources that require credentials have them configured so I don't think this is the issue here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We solved the issue by checking the logfile.

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do you have enough space in Drives where Power BI Report Server is installed?

Import stores the data in drives which requires necessary space

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

I would suggest starting by checking the log files. Which are usually stored at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles.

There are different log files for the different components of PBIRS. I would probably start checking the RSPowerBI_* logs first.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.