Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report server configuration manager - Credentials error

Hi all, I am a rookie to Power BI. I am setting up Power BI Report server (Trial version) on premises to use along with Power BI Desktop. I get an error when I am on the Credentials step in the Report server database configuration wizard. I am connecting to a remote database server. I have selected the option to create a new Report server database on the SQL Server instance. (2016) 

According to the documentation I can either use a Network credential or a SQL Server credential. So I used SQL Server credential but it is not allowing to connect. Any suggestions would be appre

error_config.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have checked with the Microsoft vendor and it seems, PBI Report Server should exist in the same box as the Database Server.

This was causing the issue.

Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Hi Sunny, you should check that the service account has access to the domain and connect across machines. You might try running the service account as network service or a domain account. Also, try running the configuration wizard as an OS administrator, launching it with elevated permissions (just right click and select run as administrator). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jon, thanks for your reply. Our SQL Server is in the cloud and we access it through VPN. So when you say about the Service account, does it refer to VPN credentials ? I tried with those credentials but it did not work. And yes I ran it as admin too but no luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also tried with changing Service Account to Network Service. And then used a Domain\User account to connect to the server where the SQL instance is present. I still get the same error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.