Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

red_robot
Frequent Visitor

Report saved to Power BI Report server cannot schedule refresh from SharePoint online

Hello:

I created a report using Power BI desktop and saved that report to our on-premise Power BI Report Server.

One of the data sources for my report is a SharePoint online site where an Excel file is stored.

(The reason I stored this Excel file on SharePoint online is because the workbook is shared between two users who work in different departments and the easiest way to create a shared location seemed to be to create a SharePoint Online Group).

When I go to the Security tab under Manage on the Power BI server, the SharePoint Online data source is listed as Type = SharePoint. Under Credentials, I can only choose Authentication Type Windows or Anonymous.

I choose "Windows" Authentication Type and then enter my username and password that I use to log in to SharePoint online that worked fine when I connected to the site from Power BI desktop. However, the login credentials are rejected.

Is there any way to set up scheduled refresh from on-premise Power BI Report Server to a SharePoint online site? Would this require a gateway to be installed and if so, could someone please explain an overview of what the gateway does or point me to a good "basics" resource to explain the gateway, why it is needed, and who at an enterprise would typically install such a gateway?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere -- I did a few searches but was not able to locate the answer I was looking for.

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever resolve this?  We are having the same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're having the same issue.  It's odd how little information there is on this issue.  It's been reported several times before, often with the reason being cited as OAuth issues.  It would be great to get a definitive answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.