Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

khalidsk
Frequent Visitor

Report not working in On-Premise Report Server

Hi,

I have developed a simple report in PowerBI desktop using DirectQuery to SQL server database as data source. When testing in powerbi desktop, it works fine. But when I upload this report to our on-premise report server, it is not showing the report.

Following message appears in logs.

2017-10-23 11:10:59.4506|ERROR|969|PBI.Win.ReportingServicesHostTrace|type:Error;message:library:Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.CannotRetrieveModelException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.CannotRetrieveModelException: An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'EntityDataSource'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source. ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdErrorResponseException: A connection could not be made to the data source with the Name of 'cbac9092-6804-4fc1-a664-56f55f3feee3'.
Login failed for user ''.. The exception was raised by the IDbConnection interface.

Why is this report not taking the credentials saved in data source properties? What am I missing here?

Please help.

Regards,

Khalid

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@khalidsk,

Did you connect to relational database or multi-dimensional database?

Currently, users can create Power BI reports in Power BI Desktop that connect to any data source, and publish their reports to Power BI Report Server. However we need to use import mode, direct Query data connections are not currently supported. Please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-report-server-august-2017-preview-now-available/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hello Charlie,

We are connecting to SQL Server database (relational) and able to select Direct Query when configuring this data source. Can you help to understand difference between using import data and direct query options. Right now, these both options appear to have same behavior.

And we are not looking for scheduled refresh as we alreay know the limitation. We are trying to refresh data only by manually clicking on the button available when report is open. 

However, I also found the below link that is informative.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Which-version-of-Power-BI-Report-Server-allows-deploy...

Regards,

Khalid

@khalidsk you cant refresh even manually from report server as far as i know, the only refreshable and the use of the world refreshable is debatable, is when you have direct query to SSAS.

If you connection via a sql server relational db you need to open up the report in power bi desktop and refresh it there and then re upload / publish to ther report server.

the difference between imported and direct query is imported means you pull the data physically into the model and it is then stored in the model.   Direct query means that the data is just pointing to the source of data via the connection and is always looking at the latest data therefore no refresh is needed, with imported you need to refresh the data.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.