Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iNenadnano
Frequent Visitor

Report Server prompts for credentials after changing parameter

After upgrading Report Server to the latest release (September 2021), a strange issue has started showing up for some users. The issue is as follows:

• user opens a paginated report with default parameters without any issues
  • user modifies a parameter in the report, clicks "View Report", after that they are prompted for credentials and none of the credentials work (either their own or the one of a system administrator)

Domain users have browser role to reports in question, and the reports are using the same data source which is configured to use a service account to access the SQL Server holding the data. I am unable to reproduce the issue on my end, and am out of ideas for troubleshooting this.

Any ideas community?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention originally, Report Server is behind Caddy as a reverse proxy and I believe that it might be causing the problems after all, I am just unsure what the problem might be given that all worked as expected with the same configuration with previous version of Report Server.

4 REPLIES 4
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @iNenadnano 

Does some users have problems, and some users are still normal? Can the report be refreshed normally?
Have you checked the firewall settings, http ports 80 and 443 are open?

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Janey

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

What is the Authentication Method applied to Data Sources?

After Upgrading did you restored the Encryption keys of the database?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @FarhanAhmed,

Data sources are accessed using dedicated SQL server credentials without impersonation. Report server itself uses NTLM authentication.

I do not remeber being asked to backup and restore encryption keys during the upgrade.

One more thing to keep and mind that I have forgotten to mention, Report Server is behind Caddy as a reverse proxy and I believe that it might be causing the problems after all.

Actually, encryption keys are used to encrypt sensitive information that is stored on PBI Report Server. i.e. Connection String, User credentials, Schedule refresh information etc.

You can view this option when you execute PBIRS Configuration under Encryption Keys  

Back Up and Restore Reporting Services Encryption Keys - SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) | Micr...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.