Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

luciuslan
Frequent Visitor

Report Server portal loading extremely slow

I noticed that the loading speed of the RS portal ( the initial loading after logged in) became extremely slow after upgraded the report server from 14.0.* to 15.0.2.402 version, tested using Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

I found out using the browser dev tools that the <servername>/reports/api/v2.0/me/ api was the main cause for such lagging, it appeared to be the authentication api if I'm not wrong?

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

I wonder if anyone else had faced the same problem, and is it my server's hardware performance issue or the report server's software issue?

13 REPLIES 13
PaulBP14
Frequent Visitor

Not sure if it helps anyone else but my issue was caused by me not having a Domain Controller, we use AzureAD to authenticate users which isn't supported by SQL Server / SSRS. I use a Workgroup and Local Users set up on the SQL Server for users to authenticate (we store there username and password in Credential Manager so it is fairly seamless. I suspect this is a bug in SSRS where it is looking for a Domain Controller and not finding one so it times out the authentication. I proved this by adding a Domain Conotroller as a test and it fixed the speed issue. I guess I'll have to live with it until AzureAD is supported by SQL Server and SSRS.

vivienIBBL
Frequent Visitor

Hello everyone,

We still have this problem for 1 year now. Has anyone found a solution?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Have a nice day,

Vivien

Hey, 

Honestly the only way is to migrate to cloud solution which is a lot better. If you have office365 (sharepoint)  in the company you may use "power bi embeded" licence which is not so expensive and embed the reports in sharepoint. PBIRS worked a bit faster only with tiny reports build on aggregated data otherwise it was a disaster.   

PaulBP14
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have the same problem and wondered if anyone has had any success resolving it?

I have tried some of the things mentioned elsewhere about disabling receive segment coalescing which didn't make any difference.

The only clue I can offer is that I don't have a domain controller, I use Azure AD to authenticate and a Workgroup with Windows authentication for the network. I am a freelance developer so only have a couple of PCs and a server.

Thanks

quenart
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.  The average time to render the portal and its one folder is 40 seconds - Same API as posted.

If I navigate to the Web Service URL, the page loads immediately, however our clients prefer the interface.

Some details: Using Kerberos for authentication.  SQL 2017 Backend on a seperate server.  Verified all SPNs are valid and working. PowerBI Jan2019 v15

I am hoping someone found a solution, but forgot to post it. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

(possible solution)

Hi all,

We experienced the same performance problems as described here. Loading portal pages took more than 30-40 secs, there were no CPU or SQL issues. Our on-prem Power BI Report Server (v. Jan 2019) is used by our co-workers in various locations/offices and behind a Amazon Route 53 DNS using a specific hostname. Then I got pointed in the right direction by using developer tools in Chrome returning some 401 http errors in the network tab.

It turned out all I had to do is add the hostname we are using to the registry of the Power BI RS and reboot the server. Please check the following kb article, for us Method 1 solved our problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/926642/error-message-when-you-try-to-access-a-server-locall...

Hello,

I have the same problem. Power BI Report Server + SQL Server the same machine... and every call to api/v2.0/me is extremally slow (about 14s).

Did you find a solution?

i disabled all network card then RS portal take 1 second to load

only enable wi-fi take about 5 seconds

enable wi-fi and VMnet8 take about 18 seconds

enable wi-fi , VMnet8 ,VMnet1 take about 26 seconds

anyone have ideas?

disabledall.png

Hello,

I am also looking for a solution to this problem.

Did you find a solution?

Thank you in advance,

Vivien

smiglo
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys, 

We have the same thing, two domains with trust, initial load before caching works very slow. Anyone found something out until now ? 

GeorgiyS

Hello. We have the same issue. The solution still cannot be found.

image.png

MainObsession

Hello,

We are encountering the same problem. For information it's the first time we are testing RS portal (15.0.2.378) with separate MS SQL Server 2016. The context is quite complicated because we are using cross domain authentication but the latency also come from <servername>/reports/api/v2.0/me/. For us it take arround 16 sec ...

We though it come from NTLM auth, so we tried to set up Kerberos auth with proper SPN and Kerberos delegation between RS portal service account and SQL server service account but still the same latencies 😕

I'm interested too if someone have any explanation to provide arround this topic ! 

Hello,

I've the same problem. Power BI Report Server + SQL Server 2016 on separate machine and two domains. One domain for Power BI infrastructure and a second one for the office employes (domains are linked with a trust relation).

...and every call to api/v2.0/me is extremally slow (it tooks about 16s).

Did you find a solution for this problem?

Best regards,

Piotr

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.