Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zpanderson

Report Server Topology

Going off the basic topology described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/capacity-planning

In our environment we need to have the Power BI Report Server Database & SQL Server Database in a "secure" domain and the Power BI Report Server in a DMZ that resides in a different domain.  There will be a firewall between the two domains (ports can be open as necessary).  Does anyone see an issue with this setup?

4 REPLIES 4
zpanderson

Seeing as no one was able to reply to this message makes me question, 1) is that b/c it's just not a very well described question or 2) no one has the need to run this configuration so it's unknown?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are currently set up in a very similar configuration, with the PBIRS available in the DMZ but restricted via AD login.

Aaron, thanks for the reply!  Was there a lot of additional setup required around the dual AD environment?  More specifically, what setup is required between the Report Server (DMZ domain) and the Database Servers (Secure domain) so that they can still communicate?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was not directly involved with the detailed setup and configuration. Our network team handled all that, although I believe they were utilizing the Kerberos authentication documented by Microsoft, but not 100% sure of that. Unfortunately the primary person who set this up is currently on vacation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors