Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mldscience
Regular Visitor

Report Server Import to Direct Query Report is not updated

We are seeing a bug where, on on-premise report server, a power bi report is not updated with the latest data, when it is converted from import to direct query (in power bi desktop), and uploaded to the server. 

We tested with a report which only contained and started with direct query and it is working perfectly fine and is updated.   But, if the report is converted from Import to Direct Query in Power BI Desktop and is, then, uploaded to Report Server, it does not query the latest data.

Since there is no way to refresh a Direct Query report, the report needs to be downloaded, refreshed in Power BI Desktop, and then reuploaded.  This is not achievable on Production Report Server.

3 REPLIES 3
parames
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I'm also facing a similar issue. 

Any help, much appreciated. 

Regards,

Param

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Try doing the following steps.

1. Open your converted report in Power BI Desktop
  2. Then go into the portal and delete the copy off the portal
  3. Then go back to Power BI Desktop and save the report back to the portal

When you save a pbix report up to the portal some of the connection details get split out and I don't think this handles the situation when you convert from Import to Direct Query properly. Doing the above steps should fix this situation.

d_gosbell,

I tried the steps you laid out, but still getting the same issue.

I tried downloading the file and uploading to the same server with a different name, but the issue persists.

I even tried uploading to a different server, but still no luck.

I had to download the file, because I do not have the original file.

Thank you for your suggestions!  Please let me know if you think I should try something else.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.