Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

etiennev
Regular Visitor

Report Server Add Data Sources "Something Went Wrong"

Hi,

I am working on a new installation of the latest version of PowerBI Report Server (14.0.600.442) and as soon as I click on "+ New" "Data Source" I get the error message "An error has occurred.
Something went wrong. Please try again later. "

I found I am able to publish and use Data Sources through Visual Studio, but I cannot manage them through the Web Portal.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Kind Regards,

Etienne

14 REPLIES 14
ut

My self Utkarsh, and i am facing Same issue on PowerBi report server. when click on New datasource it Gives error "something went wrong" same error is cooming when cliking on existing creaed datasource.

I am facing this issue on Production server My PowerBI version is 

© 2018 Microsoft

Version 1.2.6660.39920 (March 2018)

Please help me ASAP

etiennev
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I still have this issue and the only workaround I have found it to publish the Data Source correctly from Visual Studio, but managing them in PowerBI Report Server is still not possible.

Good luck!

I had resolved this issue. just remove the webportal and webservice url one by one than bind it agin one by one and restart powerBI service from Report Manager and check.

It may resolve issue.

but now one another thred is there, all old PowerBi reports are not opening "something went Wrong Error is there". I have checked whtich new version of PowerBI Destop also but problem is still there.

Now i am down grading my Report Serer to  Version 1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017)

K_Rock
Regular Visitor

I'm new to all of this, but I am having the same issue. I have tried remove the web portal binding and recreating them, but this did not work for me.  Has there been any other resolution to this problem that I've missed?

Hi @K_Rock ,

are you the Content Admin and Server Admin in the Portal? May be you can shut down the service and start it again...go to Report Server Configuration Manager and push the Stop Button and then start again.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

K_Rock
Regular Visitor

@KBO  - Yes full admin to all and access to the server as well.  I've tried everything that I can think of.  I had SSRS and PBRS installed.  I've removed SSRS and on PBRS I've removed all the bindings and back to original baseline.  No matter what I do when I click New Data Source, I get a page that looks like this.

PBIRS New Data Source Error.PNG

If I click 'Ok' I cannot enter text into any of the fields.  I was able to publish a data source, but cannot manage it, same message.

Hi @K_Rock ,

which browser do you use? Power BI Report Server is known as he don't like edge or IE very much 😉 - try firefox or chrome.

Best,

Kathrin

K_Rock
Regular Visitor

@KBO  - I've used every browser except FireFox and Safari.  IE, Edge (Old), Chrome, and Edge (New Chrome) all with the same results.

What is odd is that the page looks like it is trying to save as the page loads.

For a split second the page looks like this:

PBIRS New Data Source Error-1.PNG

Then in 2 seconds, then An error has occurred. Something went wrong message appears.

When I click Ok on the screen, I cannot enter text into any of the fields and force refresh of the page causes the same result.

I dug into the logs and found this, but I'm unsure where this is trying to point me.

2020-07-29 10:42:00.5902|ERROR|100|OData exception occurred: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.ReportingService2010.ListExtensions(String ExtensionType)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.SoapMethodWrapper`1.ExecuteMethod(Boolean setConnectionProtocol)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2010.RSConnection2010.ListExtensions(String extensionType)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Services.SoapProxy.SoapAuthenticationHelper.ExecuteWithWindowsAuth[TReturn](SoapHttpClientProtocol soapClient, IPrincipal userPrincipal, Func`1 func)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SystemService.GetExtensions(IPrincipal userPrincipal, ExtensionType extensionType)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.Repositories.SystemService.ListExtensions(IPrincipal userPrincipal, ExtensionType extensionType)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.V2.Controllers.ExtensionsController.GetEntitySet(String castName)
   at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.ODataWebApi.Controllers.Reflection.ReflectionODataController`1.Get(ODataPath oDataPath)
   at lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object[] )
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ActionExecutor.<>c__DisplayClass6_2.<GetExecutor>b__2(Object instance, Object[] methodParameters)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ReflectedHttpActionDescriptor.ExecuteAsync(HttpControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 arguments, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__1.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__5.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__6.MoveNext().| RequestID = s_43a8d5ce-b53b-4b3f-a144-5837f07c547e 

Hi @K_Rock ,

is the Service User you are using to connect the DB with the Report Server are configured correctly? If the role has sys admin rigths it is all right but If you must use single roles to avoid the sys admin you shouldn't forget one. 🙂

Best,

Kathrin

K_Rock
Regular Visitor

I have uninstalled the server, rebooted, installed, rebooted, and then slowly began to configure and restored encryption key. 

Everything appears working now.  It is one of those I wish I knew the actual fix, but happy to put this behind me.

Hi @K_Rock ,

If I learned something on my journey from the first Report Server Version than it can be very weird and annoying sometimes ;).

Keep through it is still worthwhile :).

Best,

Kathrin

ksminhas
Frequent Visitor

I have same issue. All of My data source string have gone to some Korean language. Can you check if your Data Source Strings are correct ?

My Data Sources which were deployed from Visual Studio are correct and they work, but I cannot manage them in the web portal because as soon as I open to view the details I get the error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.