Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Soulpj25

Report Remaning time

In our company we are thinking of acquiring PowerBI Report Server, through SQL Server enterprise + SA.

we plan to migrate a considerable number of reports to this server. the nature of these makes that by much they are modified once every 6-8 months in subjects of structure, the data keeps on updating from time to time. but we have a doubt about:

1 if you pay a Power Bi pro license for one month to publish these reports using Direct Query on the Power BI reporting server and the subscription ends:

1.1 Will the report remain available?

1.2 In case it remains available, the reports will continue to update the data shown by using Direct Query ?.  

since it is not feasible to pay a subscription every month for costs if they are only modified within a 6-8 month interval.

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Soulpj25,

As you can see here

Either way you license Power BI Report Server, “publisher” users who publish Power BI reports to the report server for others to access need Power BI Pro licenses, whereas “reader” users who merely view reports don’t need any per-user licenses.

In my opinion, the report can be consumed by the end user though you don't have Pro license.  @riccardomuti@Jon-Heide Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answers,

The point I want to get is if the report will continue to update your data by being published with DirectQuery or if they stopped updating when the license expires.

I'm not a licensing expert, but I can confirm (1) you need a PowerBI pro license to publish content (2) you do not need a PowerBI pro license to consume or read.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.