Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Report Builder throws excessive Warnings in ReportingServicesService

Since the May 2022 update our PowerBI RS servers have been throwing excessive warnings when "Editing a report" from the portal

Example:

library!ReportServer_0-5!1d5c!10/25/2022-15:49:26:: i INFO: Call to CreateReportEditSessionAction(Parent=/, Report=****NameOfTheReport*****). User: MYDOMAIN\MYUSERID.
processing!ReportServer_0-5!1d5c!10/25/2022-15:49:26:: w WARN: An exception occurred when extracting info about expression usage. Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.VisualBasic, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.VisualBasic, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlExpressions.ExpressionExtractor.ExtractExpression(ExpressionInfo exprInfo)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlExpressions.VBExpressionParser.AddToExpressionInstrumentation(ExpressionInfo expressionInfo)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

This warning is repeated about 20 times, bloating the logs. When deploying large batches of reports using powershell modules, this turns into over 1000 copies of said error.

I have repeated the use case against a much older server installation (Jan 2019) and do not get the same Warnings.

I have turned on Fusion logging as per internet guidance :~)  and with the added verbose logging can clearly see the report server is looking for:

LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///L:/Program_Files/PBIRS/PBIRS/ReportServer/RSTempFiles/reportserver/87b89504/492007a1/Microso....

The DLL its searching for definitely does not exist in the installation directory:

l:\programfiles\pbirs\reportserver\bin along with all the other DLLs the fusion logs reference

Update to Sept 2022? Update dot.Net? Thoughts

4 REPLIES 4
RodVK

ok I was experiencing this error also for the Portal when opening a folder. It just started happening one day with no apparent reason. My first approach was to download the .rdl, drop the folder, recreate and reupload rdl files and relink. This works for a few weeks then the issue reoccurred.  This time I searched for the Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.VisualBasic.DLL file and found it in several locations in the PBIRS folder location. So I copied the file to the PBIRS/Portal folder, as the Portal was showing the error. Restart PBIRS and the issue has disappeared.
Hoping this helps someone else.

If an official fix is found for this, I'd love to see it.

THarmes

We see the same problem on our server. Setting the suggested registry entry hasn´t changed anything. 
The problem occured some versions before and wasn´t solved in any upgrade we made. (Currently have have Sep 22 deployed).

Any help on the topic is appreciated!

Best regards,

Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running as admin makes no differnce. Same warnings thrown in the logs

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can indeed upgrade your Power BI report Server to the September release to see if this issue is mitigated.

Have you tried running Power BI Report Server as an administrator?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.