Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataThomas
Frequent Visitor

Report Builder - generate a single report that shows same data but with different filters applied

I have a report I built in report builder. i want to generate a multi-page document that replicates the same infomation, but with a separate page based on filtered data.

Example: let's say I built a report that shows key Baseball stats (hitting stats, pitchings stats, wins/losses, etc.) in the layout that I want. What I'm specifically looking to do: generate one report that shows the same information per page , but with the data filtered based on a defined value:

- 1 page sumarizing the data for all of MLB

- 1 page sumarizing the data for each of the 2 leagues

- 1 page sumarizing the data for each of the 30 team

The end result is a single report with 33 pages; each page looks exactly the same, showing the same set of data, but with the data values updated to reflect the various "groups".

Relatively new to Power Bi Report Builder.

I've seen questions simliar to this on the Community Board, and I've seen replies that this is possible, but can't see a straightforward reply that shows how to do that. Most of the linked urls/documents poitn to generic "Report Builder in a Day" type documentation.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

One way to do this would be using a sub report Subreports in Power BI paginated reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

If you build a single report that has a parameter that can either be MLB or League or a Team and prints the page for that entity.

Then build a second report that has a dataset with 33 rows - one row for each entity you want to print. With the parameter value you need to pass into the first report.

eg

MLB
League 1
League 2

Team 1

Team 2

etc...

In this second report you create a table based on this dataset with a single detail cell which covers the whole width of the report and put a subreport control in it linked to your first report and link up the parameter in the subreport to value from the dataset.

Then when you run the second report it should generate the first report 33 times passing in the different parameter values from the dataset in the second report.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

One way to do this would be using a sub report Subreports in Power BI paginated reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn 

If you build a single report that has a parameter that can either be MLB or League or a Team and prints the page for that entity.

Then build a second report that has a dataset with 33 rows - one row for each entity you want to print. With the parameter value you need to pass into the first report.

eg

MLB
League 1
League 2

Team 1

Team 2

etc...

In this second report you create a table based on this dataset with a single detail cell which covers the whole width of the report and put a subreport control in it linked to your first report and link up the parameter in the subreport to value from the dataset.

Then when you run the second report it should generate the first report 33 times passing in the different parameter values from the dataset in the second report.

thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. i am able to follow up until:

"In this second report you create a table based on this dataset with a single detail cell which covers the whole width of the report and put a subreport control in it linked to your first report and link up the parameter in the subreport to value from the dataset."

Can you clarify/expand what you mean by subreport control and how to link it to the first report?

thanks for the help and lnks; was able to sort it out and it worked perfectly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.