Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MNMark

Remove a corrupt report from on premise server?

One of the reports listed on my report server seems to have become corrupt.  The only change we are aware of is the upgrade of the report server to the Jan 2020 edition.  Before the upgrade, the report had been working for months.  Now when you try to do anything involving the report it throws errors.

1.  Click to view the report in a browser via a browser returns the error: "An error has occured.  Something went wrong.  Please try again later"

2.  Click the ellipsis to manage the report returns the same error as #1.

3.  Attempt to open the file for editing using Power BI Desktop for Reporting Server returns the error: "Error - Can't open file or folder /dir/filename.  It may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.

Since this was a production report, I first focused on restoration of functionality and was able to extract the PBIX file from the catalog.  Surprisingly the file I extracted was not corrupt and I was able to open, edit and publish it.  However, now I have 2 reports with the same name listed on my server.  One of them works, the other throws errors and I cannot remove or manage the one that throws errors.  

If I can't remove the file through the reporting server gui because of some sort of corruption, how can else can I remove it?  I thought about removing it directly from the catalog, but I'm worried I'd cause more problems because of the orphaned rows I'd likely create because I don't understand all the relationships fully.  

Anyone else ever seen this before?  What did you do to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MNMark

Posting my solution just in case someone else runs into this.  

For simplicity assume my folder is named "exampleFolder"

1. Document all security setting for each report and folder within exampleFolder

2. Move all contents of exampleFolder (expect the problem report) to tempFolder outside of the exampleFolder hierarchy.

3. Delete exampleFolder

4. Recreate exampleFolder

5. Apply appropriate security to exampleFolder

6. Move all contents from tempFolder back into exampleFolder

7. Double check all security setting are correct

Hope this helps someone. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MNMark

Posting my solution just in case someone else runs into this.  

For simplicity assume my folder is named "exampleFolder"

1. Document all security setting for each report and folder within exampleFolder

2. Move all contents of exampleFolder (expect the problem report) to tempFolder outside of the exampleFolder hierarchy.

3. Delete exampleFolder

4. Recreate exampleFolder

5. Apply appropriate security to exampleFolder

6. Move all contents from tempFolder back into exampleFolder

7. Double check all security setting are correct

Hope this helps someone. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.