Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Release Date for 2018 Report Server Update

Does anybody know when we will get the next release of the Report Server and desktop for On-Prem use?

Based upon details release by Microsoft I'm expecting regular updates of Report Server and the matching PBI Desktop on a 3 or 4 month cycle. The last release was Oct 2017, so that means that the next expected release is soon, maybe Feb 2018?

However in reply to a question I raised elsewhere a guy called Amir ( I think a Microsoft Employee ) has said "We intend to release an update to the report server towards the summer time.......". That's not a 3 or 4 month schedule, its a bi annual schedule, and if true is a big disapointment. Please clarify the situation, and if possible start publishing the road map for Report Server with some detail of when and what we can expect.

I cannot emphasise the importance to us of an On-Prem solution. We cannot use the cloud service, we are an enterprise that has sensitive data, and governance rules that prohibit its use.

34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please see the following thread with replies from Microsoft regarding the next release date (late July, early August):

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/June-2018-Release-of-Power-BI-Report-Server/m-p/429777...

Kind regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I would also be very grateful to get some details about the next release (hopefully in July 2018)? My users keep asking me every day with regard to a working / easy-to-use Excel export functionality and a good printing functionality. I hope this will be part of the new release 🙂 Power BI Cloud Service already has these strongly required features.

Kind regards.

Hi Microsoft PBIRS Team,

It will be really great if we know the expected release date for PBIRS and the expected features in this release...

Thanks

Luai

Surely Microsoft teams have deadlines like the rest of us - would it be so hard to give us a better timeline for the releases? Like 'beginning of July' or 'end of July', or Christmas, or 2030 at this rate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, the Microsoft team must know which features they are targeting for the next release and have a target release date. I have asked @riccardomuti to provide more details many times, but get no further details or explaination as to why we have to be kept so in the dark.

Rob

shera276
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello - Might be a dumb question but does anyone know where we can sign up to be sent (email) announcements for when new PowerBI Report Server  are released or will be released?

Thanks

You can subscribe to the Power BI blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/.

Hi There - I had previously tried that but it looks like it's an RSS subscription.  I'd like email notification.

Some feed readers and services like Blogtrottr enable you to send a feed to your email.

rahulvairagi
Regular Visitor

rahulvairagi
Regular Visitor

Finally PBIRS has March 2018 release couple of days back

Version: 15.0.2.378

Release: 19-Mar-2018

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56722

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Cool - thank you for this update.

So that we can put some dates to our baklog items do you have an estimated date of the next release?

We release roughly every 4 months (our past couple of cycles have been ~4.5 months), so a rough guideline would be March, July, November.

Is the July release on track to be released in July? and any ideas on dates as yet? We would very much like to be able to plan this upgrade into our work schedule

cbriglia
Helper I
Helper I

not on this one (2018 March)

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

We are targeting mid to late March for the next PBIRS release. As for features I don't have specific details but you should see a roll-up of several features that have been released for the service/desktop since Nov.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mgmeyer,

Thanks for the update, it is most welcome.

Can I request that your team consider a more formal road map for RS releases in the future. We and many more are using the PBI RS to deliver some really innovative PBI + SSRS solutions within our organisations. My customers are really impressed with what we can do with the two products together, and as developers we are loving the power of DAX and the tabular data model combined with the great visuals in PBI. But due to data governance policy we have to be On-Prem and we feel a bit second class to those in the Cloud when it comes to updates and feedback.

Kind Regards

Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't understand why there is such a lag in the release of new features.  If they are developed for the cloud and individual user, why does it take so long to release for PBIRS?  My company at this time can't move to the cloud due to our parent company policy.  I also have contractors that work on different versions and trying to upload their dashboards to my report server is not working for us.  I am wasting money paying a contractor for work and then having to redo all of them because they versions aren't compatible.  Also explaining to my IT Director that PBIRS doesn't have the features we need or aren't the same as Power Bi Desktop is not an easy sale.  We are paying for a product. We should have the lastest updates more than 2-3 times a year.   I understand wanting to push the cloud based product but for those customers that can't migrate in that direction - you need to have a roadmap for us and more releases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.