Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tmendoza
Helper III
Helper III

Relationships Break When Server Refreshes

Hello All, 

I'm reposting this as I did not get any feasable solutions and I'm pretty sure this topic went stale.

Also, I'm using the May Desktop and Server edition of PBI.

I've got this really strange issue that only rears it's head when viewing my dahsboard from the report server.

A few of my tables have a dynamic X axis, where I can select how I want to view my axis from a slicer drop down.

I've done this by adding an index column to my source data and creating a reference table from it.

Next, I unpivoted the columns in the reference table that I want shown in my slicer drop down.

I create a relationship between the two tables using the Index as the bridge and it's cross filtering in both directions (pic1).

The slicer dropdown field has the ref table "attributes" and the chart axis field contains the "values" from the ref table.

Boom, it works as expected in PBI Desktop. Great!

Here is a pic showing what it looks like and using a page level filter to prove that the data is filtering correctly (pic 2 & 3).

However, when I publish it to the server and it refreshes the relationships go haywire and I get funky data when filtered (pic 4)

ie. When page level filter is for West, Visual should only show the West Divison, not all.

(Just to clarify, the relationships look fine in the server after publishing until I give it a refresh.)

The next thing I do is click "edit in PBI Desktop" and once it's on my desktop, what do you know, all the realtionships are fixed again and the report functions as intended without me doing anything.

So why are the relationships getting skewed in the report server, but get fixed automaticaly once I pull the report into the Desktop app?

I can asume something with the indexes is going off the rails during the refresh, but then why the automatic fix once pulling the report into the desktop app.

Can anyone please provide me with some insight on this issue i'm having?

Relationship set up:

Relationship Set upRelationship Set up

Finished ProductFinished ProductFinished Product

Works in Desktop AppWorks in Desktop AppWorks in Desktop App

Does not work when server refreshes

Does not work when server refreshesDoes not work when server refreshes

5 REPLIES 5
luanasantana

Currently having the exact same issue. Any solutions for this post yet?

Arielcchy
Advocate I
Advocate I

I'm glad to find a post exactly the same issue I'm encountering these past few months.
It happens 1 to 3 times out of 4 auto-refresh. The current fix is to refresh manually the dataset AND the reports. Sometimes I have to refresh datasets and reports more than 2 times in order to get the correct match in my dynamic Y axis. 
On the other hand, I created another report: merger ref table and fact table in order to remove a relationship. It hasn't had the same issue no more. However, there is a column that full of repetitive values, which is against to star schema.
Is there any solution for this post yet?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@tmendoza - Very difficult to follow. I recommend creating a sample dataset that emulates this behavior and posting it so that others can replicate the behavior and troubleshoot. Otherwise, You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Sorry it's a little hard to follow, but what I'm really trying to ask is:

Do you know why relationships would break during a server refresh and get fixed automatically when pulling into the desktop app?

@tmendoza No, I've never seen it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.